Wednesday, January 23, 2008

It's Over

I am finally divorced! We had had a settlement conference scheduled for last Thursday, but it was postponed for a week because my wife's attorney was late sending us the proposed Property Settlement Agreement. This morning we went to the courthouse early and spent a few hours hammering out the final agreement.

We have been having an amicable divorce, almost out of necessity, since financial considerations have required us to live in the same house. It's fortunate that we are able to live together so easily, since we will have to continue doing so until we sell our house. In the current housing market, that is a slow and difficult process with no assurance of success.

I don't really feel any different now that I'm no longer married, perhaps because nothing has changed in our physical situation, as opposed to our legal situation. I'm hoping single life will agree with me, since I'm being thrust into it (to use an appropriate term) for better or for worse. I never wanted to be anything but married my whole life, and now I find myself in exactly the situation I wanted to avoid by getting married a quarter of a century ago: adult and alone.

No comments: